W. Tyler Moore, PC

How can I encourage my ex-spouse to pay child support?

Unfortunately, deadbeat parents who do not pay their child support payments is not uncommon in the United States. According to the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement, in 2009 alone there were approximately $108 billion dollars in back payments owed to custodial parents. So what can you do if your ex-spouse is not paying child support payments?

It might be tempting to try to punish a parent by not letting him or her have their visitations with your child, but this might actually be counter-productive. Allowing a parent to maintain a relationship with his or her child may help encourage them to make child support payments a priority. If a parent has an emotional investment with their children and their growth and well-being, they will be more inclined to make payments. From their perspective, if a parent is not letting a non-custodial parent see their child, they may be less-inclined to "reward" the custodial parent with the child support payments. It becomes a virtual catch-22 situation.

If there is any suspicion that a non-custodial parent will not being paying his or her child support, if possible try not to include such payments into your budget. Depending upon your financial situation this may be difficult, but if you are able to let the absence of a payment affect you less, both you and your child or children will be better off.

Every state in the country, including Texas, has anti-retroactive modification laws. This means that non-custodial parents cannot have child support adjustments made for previously owed payments. However, if your ex-spouse is unable to pay the full amount, it might be helpful to accept partial payments. Partial payments are better than no payments.

If you find yourself in a situation where your ex-spouse is not fulfilling the court-mandated duties regarding child support payments, you may need to go back to court to settle the issue. You generally cannot do this before 6 months of back payments, after which time county sheriffs begin enforcing child support.

Source: U.S. News, "What to Do When Your Ex Won't (or Can't) Pay Child Support," Geoff Williams, Nov. 20, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Start With A Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Hear From Our Clients

"Grimm Collections utilized Mr. W. Tyler Moore for a very complicated matter of litigation regarding non-payment of freight invoices to one of our clients local to the Houston area. I’ve worked with many attorneys throughout the United States on many litigation matters and the biggest deficiencies are lack of industry knowledge and poor communication/follow up.." - D.M.

Read More
  • Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2012 Lawsuits & Disputes
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top Attorney Lawsuits & Disputes
  • Avvo Top contributor 2013 Lawsuits & Disputes
  • AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
  • H Texas Houston's Top Lawyers 2014
  • Lead Counsel Rated Attorney
  • Nation's Premier | NAFLA | Top Ten Ranking 2014
  • Board Certified Texas Board Of Legal Specialization Civil Trial Law Family Law