W. Tyler Moore, PC

child custody & visitation- enforcement

Enforcement of child custody and visitation should be handled by a lawyer in family court. The police will generally refuse to get involved by saying this is a civil matter not criminal.  What do you do if a parent or third party wrongfully withholds a child from the parent with custody or keeps a child beyond the time allotted for visitation?

There are two remedies available which are not mutually exclusive.  The first remedy is to file a petition for writ of habeas corpus asking the court to issue a writ ordering the person holding the child to appear in court with the child and explain why the person has the child contrary to a court order. That is quick, easy and is supposed to take priority over all other proceedings in the court. This remedy usually results in return of the child.

The other remedy is to file suit for enforcement to hold the person (usually another conservator) in contempt of court for violating the court's custody order.  This requires a hearing before the court. If found in contempt, the court may assess jail time up to 6 months and/or a fine up to $500 per occurence.

Both these remedies for enforcement of child custody and visitation are relatively  complex procedurally and are not do-it-yourself propositions.  Both these remedies will allow recovery of attorneys' fees.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response


Start With A Case Evaluation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Hear From Our Clients

"Grimm Collections utilized Mr. W. Tyler Moore for a very complicated matter of litigation regarding non-payment of freight invoices to one of our clients local to the Houston area. I’ve worked with many attorneys throughout the United States on many litigation matters and the biggest deficiencies are lack of industry knowledge and poor communication/follow up.." - D.M.

Read More
  • Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice.
  • Avvo Clients' Choice 2012 Lawsuits & Disputes
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top Attorney Lawsuits & Disputes
  • Avvo Top contributor 2013 Lawsuits & Disputes
  • AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Ratings
  • H Texas Houston's Top Lawyers 2014
  • Lead Counsel Rated Attorney
  • Nation's Premier | NAFLA | Top Ten Ranking 2014
  • Board Certified Texas Board Of Legal Specialization Civil Trial Law Family Law